Careers at Sequential
Sequential makes innovative electronic keyboard instruments used by performing artists on stages and recordings all over the world. Join us and help us keep these musical instruments flowing into the hands of world’s most talented players!
Mechanical Engineer at Sequential
Sequential is a premium synthesizer maker and our team members have been a leading force in the popularity of analog synthesizers for decades. Our products combine innovative electronic design, embedded software, and great feeling keyboards and controls to produce musical instruments loved by the world’s leading performers and recording artists.
We design and manufacture in the San Francisco Bay Area (100% through our contract manufacturing partners) and we are seeking a talented mechanical engineer to help us create new products. This role combines elements of both mechanical engineering (structure) and industrial design (appearance). You’ll make sure our keyboards feel great, look amazing, and can be built and shipped in volume.
- Design and invent: create complete synthesizer keyboard designs including metal/wood/plastic enclosures, placement, artwork, moving parts such as knobs and mod wheels, applied cosmetic materials
- Create and visualize: make technical drawings for production and 2D / 3D models to aid the design process
- Collaborate: work with other design team members across the full product development cycle, from concept inception to validation to shipping product
- Continuous improvement: analyze quality and cost and look for ways to improve designs. Help us find and qualify new suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Green and clean: ensure our products have the right design and documentation to achieve compliance and sustainability ratings which let us ship globally in a planet-friendly way
- At least 10 years’ experience in mechanical design
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering (preferred) or equivalent skills
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA)
- Experience with 3D and 2D CAD programs
- Portfolio of work on projects of similar complexity showing abilities on mechanical design and industrial design
- Wide knowledge of material properties and selection process, including plastics (including light pipe design), sheet metal, adhesives, springs, polycarbonate overlays.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with aluminum extrusions and cast metal parts a plus.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes including sheet metal stamping, plastic injection molding, silk-screening and paint finishing
- Knowledge of engineering drawings and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Experience managing BOMs, ECOs, and documentation around product lifecycles
- Knowledge of the interrelation between mixed-signal electronics and mechanical design, particularly with respect to passing emissions and safety certifications
- Ability to work well under pressure, solve problems fast
- Excellent communication, teamwork, and drive to complete
- Experience with tactile consumer designs a plus
- Experience with and passion for musical instrument design is a big plus
Location: San Francisco Bay Area Preferred.
- Sequential is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring inclusion and diversity for all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.